Meetings

Washington Area Villages Exchange
WAVE Board Meeting
July 29, 2019, 10:30am - 12:00 pm
 

In attendance:

Patricia Clark          Gail Kutner               Mary Jo Deering

Leigh Sempeles      Eddie Rivas               Cele Garrett

Sharon Canner       Miriam Kelty              Denise Snyder

Peggy Simpson      Patricia Scolero

Not present:

Dave Prescott         Virginia Hodgkinson   Don Moldover

 

Treasurer’s Report

Leigh reported current membership stats: Currently, there are 38 paid village, compared to 42 at this time last year. Despite this, revenue is a little higher because of a few private donations. On this topic, Leigh encouraged all board members to consider a donation. Current assets are $7,172.31. Income from villages is $1,340. Leigh revisited the idea of having board members each call a handful of lapsed WAVE members to follow up on their renewal. She will ask Dave to email the list of lapsed villages; each board member is to review the list and assign themselves to a village with which they might have a personal connection. We will also call villages that have not joined.

Leigh reported that she and Pat have reviewed the bylaws and are proposing some changes. The proposed language will be provided to the board for comment. Leigh will email the draft to board members and asks that we each read the language and “reply all” soon after with our approval or comments. Board comments will be incorporated in a new draft, which will then be posted on the WAVE web site for WAVE members to review prior to a vote at the next annual meeting.

 

Recording Secretary’s Report

Outgoing Recording Secretary Eddie Rivas noted that he’d distributed the May meeting minutes by email and received minor comments from one board member. The minutes were approved. Incoming Recording Secretary Cele Garrett will begin taking and distributing minutes from this point forward.

 

Corresponding Secretary’s Report

As Dave was absent, Patricia reported that he has removed board members’ contact info from the web site listing for privacy purposes after a number of disturbing phishing emails were sent to the board at their personal emails. This is in response to a concern about spam targeted to board members. People can contact WAVE and ask that the message be sent to any Board member.

 

VP Mary Jo Deering' s Report

The majority of the meeting time was spent discussing the November 14 WAVE mini-conference. Mary Jo began by thanking Wendy Zenker, Executive Director of Arlington Neighborhood Village, for her good work in securing the meeting space.

Cost.   The board reviewed the contract with Marymount University. Marymount is waiving fees for the meeting space. The board voted to approve the contract, but asked for clarification of what the AV costs entail. An additional expense likely will be a $6/day parking fee for each car.

Registration fees.   After discussion, the board agreed on a registration fee of $15 for WAVE members and $25 for non-members, whether the attendee is with a village or another organization in the industry. However, the fee will be waived for an industry expert who is invited to facilitate a session and does not plan to attend the conference. We do not anticipate there being many such exceptions and will encourage those individuals to join us for the remainder of the conference and pay a fee voluntarily.

Food and beverage.  Our goal is to keep food expenses to a minimum. It was agreed that we should include a continental breakfast plus a boxed lunch for attendees. Mary Jo suggested that the Virginia villages take on the job of asking for food donations or sponsorships. Leigh reminded us that we do have some funds in the budget as a back-up.

Registration, attendance and marketing.   We are requiring that attendees register in advance online. Denise is exploring Auctria, the registration software program Foggy Bottom is currently using. Eddie has offered his VTVN email address as a possible contact point to direct attendees for registration. We are hoping to have at least 75 attendees and could have as many as 125 attendees. A site visit in the coming weeks will answer capacity questions, clarify our set-up options, and give us a sense of what our accommodations could be for any exhibitors. Mary Jo will set up the site visit in the near future; board members are welcome to attend. To promote the mini-conference, each village is encouraged to reach out to their “short list” of industry partners. Mary Jo will work with Eddie and Sharon on copy that can be used in promotional emails that WAVE will send out to villages.

Programming.  Mary Jo shared the latest version of the conference matrix showing the four tracks. The opening session will be extended to let Barbara Sullivan, VTVN Executive Director, address the group. We will thank any sponsors as well. The breakout sessions will include no formal presentations but will be interactive discussions of the topic led by a facilitator. She suggested that board members begin to consider specific village leaders with subject area knowledge or facilitation skills. She will send out a request for their input shortly. There will be a series of conference calls by track once the subject area facilitators are identified. We will also assign a flipchart writer/timekeeper for each breakout session. Still to be determined: The content of our closing remarks.

 

VP Gail Kutner's Report

The next WAVE quarterly meeting will be October 7, where the discussion will focus on highlights from the VTVN conference. Denise and Miriam are looking at potential venues.

 

Respectfully submitted,

Cele Garrett,

Recording Secretary

Washington Area Villages Exchange
Agenda
WAVE Board Meeting
May 10, 2019, 10:30am - 12:00 pm

Treasurer: Leigh Sempeles
     Financial status, proposed budget for November mini-conference, membership and dues, outreach to
     non-member villages
Recording Secretary: Eddie Rivas
     Review minutes and notes
     Select a new recording Secretary
Corresponding Secretary: Dave Prescott
     Report on website, communications
     Issues related to spam targeting this Board
VP: Mary Jo Deering
     Fall WAVE Meeting – mini-conference
     Ideas for locations, topics, speakers, etc.
     Locations: 441 4th Street, AARP (Barbara Sullivan recommended – Eddie was going to check into it)
VP: Gail Kutner
     Program topics and suggestions for June meeting
    Meeting Structure: Shorter program as well as a longer program. Review of the last two.
    Long-term care issue: Mary Procter and Elizabeth Cabot Nash and others have an ‘interest group’.
    Will provide us with letters to send regarding the details.
Strategic Direction for WAVE: Process to study and implement ideas from California, others ideas.
IT Group: Work Group Update & Discussion of Use of New Technology status
2020 Census: Completely online.
Other things

Washington Area Villages Exchange

Minutes

WAVE Board Meeting

Friday, May 10, 2019, 10:30 am - 12:00 pm

In Attendance:

Patricia Clark                   Gail Kutner               Mary Jo Deering

Leigh Semples                    Eddie Rivas               Cele Garrett

Miriam Kelty                     Don Moldover              Denise Snyder

 

Not Present:

Dave Prescott                    Virginia Hodgkinson       Peggy Simpson

Sharon Canner                    Patricia Scolero

Treasurer

Leigh S. reported that WAVE’s total current assets were $7,207.31, $0.00 in current liabilities and $7,032.31 in total liability and equity.  [Leigh – pls confirm!] She also reported for the 2019 budget, we have income projections of $1,340.00 ($1,125 membership dues, $50 partner support, $65 donations) and expenses of $242.22 ($102.22 software update and $140 postal costs). 

Secretaries

Eddie R. stated that minutes from the April Member meeting would be available the following week. 

Cele G. volunteered to become the new Recording Secretary.

Eddie R. agreed to and completed follow up with Dave P. regarding the following:

-- Dave has an archive of materials collected from previous WAVE officers.

-- There exists and is posted a general WAVE mailbox, monitored by Dave: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

-- Dave forwarded a Treasurer’s email to Leigh for consideration.

-- All contact information was previously stripped from the WAVE website.

-- Dave has no knowledge or experience with the use of online, electronic registration applications such as Event Bright or Sign Up Genius. 

Fall MiniConference

Mary Jo D. presented a proposed plan developed by committee (Mary Jo D., Miriam K. & Don M.) for a four-track miniconference, with approximately four breakouts for each track. The intent is to schedule the sixteen sessions throughout the day, no repetitions, with knowledgeable facilitators to manage the sharing of information across Village attendees.  Potential locations include DC, Silver Spring MD and Ballston VA. All locations will have Metro access and parking, and should be affordable.  Currently the conference budget is set at $1,150. 

Future Member Meeting Programming Ideas

While a date and location in DC have not yet been determined, the topics proposed a simple, short presentation on implementing a Memory Café and a longer presentation on updated research around Alzheimer’s Disease and related dementias. 

Lastly

There was a reminder to board members that at least three new board members will need to be elected in January 2020 to fill seats that will be termed out. 

 

WAVE Membership Meeting

Monday, April 15, 2019

Patricia Clark welcomed attendees. She thanked our breakfast sponsor Brandywine Living Alexandria, and Cele Garrett and volunteers from At Home Alexandria for their support for securing the Charles Huston Rec Center for the meeting.

Announcements

Montgomery County will hold a meeting for caregivers on 05 June; contact Lily Fisher with the Montgomery County Office of Adult and Disability Services for more information. 

Arlington Neighbourhood Village will hold their fundraising gala on 03 May; contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. for more information.

Reston for a Lifetime announced Resources for Better Aging online resource center. Contact http://www.restonforalifetime.org/resources.html for info. 

Administrative Reports

Treasurer reported 38 paid Villages, with $1,340 in dues paid; and $7,207.31 in our bank account.  The fall 2019 WAVE Miniconference (see below) is currently budgeted for $1,400.

Secretaries reported that all minutes are up to date on the WAVE website as are Village entries.

Fall WAVE Miniconference

The Miniconference Planning Committee reported that they are planning for a conference in the Fall 2019, not to conflict with the national VTV Network Annual Gathering (Chicago, Sept 18-20, https://www.vtvnetwork.org/content.aspx?sl=1230294757).  

The conference will have four tracks, with approx. four sessions each:

  1. Management issues
  2. Scope of Village services and activities
  3. Strategic issues
  4. Technology

Additional information will be posted on the WAVE website as it is further developed, including date, location, etc. 

Alcohol Abuse – A Special Problem for Seniors

Rob Fleming, Mount Pleasant Village, made a short presentation on alcohol abuse dangers with older people.  He presented statistics about alcohol abuse in the District of Columbia. He noted that the problem is often rooted in on the individual’s biology, affecting behaviour, economics and ultimately politics at the community level, which in turn can block solutions to the problem.  Estimates are that alcohol abuse can kill as many as 88 thousand people per year and cost approximately $250 Billion across the country. Given how much this problem contributes to social isolation, he suggests that Villages explore alternatives to alcohol use and opportunities to address the issues in their communities.

Memoir Writing

Anne Bolen, Anne B. History LLC, addressed memoir writing as an avenue towards addressing social isolation in the community. She presented how memoir writing in small group settings is a powerful way to create meaningful social experiences. She discussed the power of storytelling and preserving our histories, and conducted small group exercises to demonstrate the ease in which Villages could implement storytelling opportunities in their communities. 

 

WAVE Board of Directors Meeting - Friday, March 15, 2019

Agenda

(See Meeting Minutes Below)

 

Treasurer: Leigh Sempeles

Financial status, proposed budget for November mini-conference, membership and dues, outreach to non-member villages.

Recording Secretary: Minutes Eddie Rivas

Review minutes from February meeting and notes

Structure of WAVE: Develop a structure to coordinate and ‘house’ issues by including others who have expertise, and not overwhelming the Board.

February Meeting: Discuss and analyze.  Issues or things to follow up on.

LBGTQ: Continue and/or increase our support; WAVE website section for LGBTQ?  WAVE table at DC Pride event for all area villages?  Create, support interest group.

Meeting Structure: Shall we attempt to have a shorter program, as Susan Messina did for us, as well as a longer program?

Long-term care issue: How shall WAVE continue the issue presented by Mary Procter and Elizabeth Cabot Nash?  Have an ‘interest group’?

VP Gail Kutner

Program topics and suggestions for April and June meetings and 2020.

VP Mary Jo Deering

Fall WAVE Meeting – mini-conference

Ideas for locations, topics, speakers, etc.

Corresponding Secretary: Dave Prescott

Report on website, communications

Strategic Direction for WAVE: Process to study and implement ideas from California, others ideas. 

IT Group: Work Group Update & Discussion of Use of New Technology status

New Business

Adjourn

 

Meeting Minutes

Conference Call at 3:02 pm

Pat Clark and Gail Kutner will develop a list of topic areas to be considered for future WAVE meeting presentations/speakers.  This list will include resource people with expertise that can present updates, follow issue areas, etc. for WAVE members and participants.

As a follow-up to the February WAVE meeting, and the presentation by Susan Messina of Iona, the board began a discussion of further ways that WAVE can support villages with regard to LBGTQ sensitivity and specific needs and services.  This discussion will be continued. 

All agreed that the present WAVE meeting structure – short presentation followed by more in-depth presentation on a specific topic – should be maintained, allowing for flexibility depending on subject matter and other business.  Cele Garrett offered, all agreed, to work on a presentation related to recording memories/individuals’ stories for the April meeting.

Mary Jo Deering asked for assistance in planning a day long WAVE meeting/conference to offer workshops and plenary speaker(s).  Miriam Kelty and Don Moldover offered to serve on a committee to assist.  Given the nature of space needs for such a conference, various venues will be investigated for consideration, as will a date sometime in the fall. 

Leigh Semples provided a Treasurer’s report. During discussion, we affirmed that developing villages do not need to pay dues. It was suggested that calls to villages to pay dues be made by jurisdiction.

Dave Prescott offered a report on updates in progress to the website, listserves and calendar events.  

Pat Clark led a short discussion about whether WAVE should look at our strategic direction – mission, vision, value to members, etc. It was suggested that we review what the Village Movement California presented at the VTVN meeting last fall, and that perhaps we consider a longer board retreat/meeting or a dedicated WAVE meeting with facilitation to help guide the discussion.  Plans for this are still in the making.

Don Moldover and Mary Jo Deering offered that the IT Group will be reviewing a demonstration of caregiver support software in early April.  They will report about that demonstration at a later date. 

Meeting concluded at approximately 4:40 pm.

WAVE Quarterly Meeting February 25, 2019

Agenda

(See Business Meeting Minutes and Program Notes Below)

 

The next WAVE Quarterly Meeting is 9:00 - 12:00 Noon on Monday, February 25, 2019, hosted by the Hyattsville Aging in Place (HAP) village in Hyattsville, MD.  Meeting Location:  City of Hyattsville Town Hall, 4310 Gallatin St, Hyattsville, MD 20781.  The breakfast sponsor is CaringGivers, LLC. which provides in-home aides.
 


Planned Agenda

9:00 - 9:30 a.m.  Mix and mingle
9:30 a.m.  Business Meeting
-  Iona Services regarding LGBTQ service needs
-  Advocacy: The looming need for long-term care and related advocacy challenges
12:00 Noon  Adjourn

Advocacy: From Aging in Place to Aging in Community

Mary Procter and Elizabeth Cabot Nash from the Advocacy Group of the Capitol Hill Village will present and lead a discussion about the shift From Aging in Place to Aging in Community. 

This shift occurs as village members age and need long term care support, particularly as they encounter difficulties walking or in living independently.  Mary and Elizabeth will first present a snapshot of the needs and the availability of long term care support in the DC area, in order to illustrate the big picture issues that arise when we move into the Aging in Community stage.  This will illustrate the potential looming shortage of beds and the potential need for advocacy in the various jurisdictions.

Then attendees will split into groups by jurisdiction, DC, MD, VA, as policies and supports for long term care vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. These discussion groups will be about the key issues and opportunities in the Aging in Community stage. 

After these discussion groups, we will share these insights with the whole group.  We will explore interest among the participants who might wish to collaborate on issues of the metropolitan region, such as a looming shortage of home health aides or long-term care support.

WAVE Quarterly Meeting

February 25, 2019

Hyattsville Town Hall

Business Meeting Minutes

BUSINESS MEETING

President Patricia Clark welcomed participants and thanked Hyattsville Aging in Place (HAP) for hosting the meeting.  Denise Snyder, Chair of HAP, recognized CaringGivers, LLC, for sponsoring the breakfast and introduced Demetrius Jones, its founder, who briefly described his company. 

The president called attention to the new Board of Directors members and officers.  She noted that the president and two vice presidents reflect the three jurisdictions, and that most of the Board are the “post-founding” members.  The two surviving original founders, Miriam Kelty and Virginia Hodgkinson, were named “Founding Emerita.” 

The president announced that WAVE will return to four meetings per year.  There will be two more before the Village to Village (VtV) Network conference in September.  There will be one afterward.

Treasurer Leigh Sempeles announced that there is a balance of $6,892.31 in the bank account. Expenses include $242.22 for the PO Box and software updates.  In addition there will be an expense for the scholarship for the VtV conference.  Dues collected to date total $1,050, including 27 villages, 1 in the new category of “partner support member,” and one other donation.  WAVE currently encompasses 70+ villages open or in development. 

The president informed members that the Board is in the process of analyzing and revising the ByLaws.  She asked them to give input through the WAVE email [This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it./].

Corresponding Secretary Dave Prescott, explained that he is the Webmaster and also sends out email notices.  He asked that any updates for the website--including village contacts--be sent to him c/o This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..  All paid up members are listed on the website.  He has heard about one merger. 

Second Vice President Mary Jo Deering announced that WAVE is proposing an extended program for the fall meeting, potentially all day and possibly in the first half of November.  She asked members who would like to work on it to contact her.  A notice will be sent out requesting volunteers and program ideas.  

WAVE IT Work Group Chair Mary Jo Deering said that the group was preparing to share and extend what it had learned about voice technology over the past year.  The ultimate goal is a “train-the-trainer” session for people who would like to be able to offer programs or support to their own villages.  First there will be a pilot demonstration to test out the group’s approach and identify the most effective presentation.   

First Vice President Gail Kutner asked for members to send her suggestions for programs at the next two meetings.  She also asked for suggestions to enrich the website.

New Business

The president described the presentation made by California organizations at last year’s VtV conference. It was very strategic and forward looking.  WAVE has more villages than any other area in the country, and we could use the California work to look ahead in our area.

Miriam Kelty mentioned that Montgomery County villages, especially in the Bethesda-Chevy Chase area, collaborate to cross-promote activities or co-sponsor events.  In the long run, this is good for meeting new people and spreading useful information and programs. 

The president called for a motion to approve the minutes of the last meeting, which are on the website.  Rob Fleming moved for approval, Miriam Kelty seconded the motion.  The minutes were approved.

The business meeting was concluded. 

WAVE Quarterly Meeting

February 25, 2019

Hyattsville Town Hall

Program Notes

Outreach to and working with the LGBTQ community. Susan Messina, Deputy Director for Senior Services at IONA House and member of the board of Mt Pleasant Village.

Members of this community fear discrimination from villages that do not clearly advertise friendliness. Villages should be sure all communication materials clearly show welcoming approach, including a formal non-discrimination policy on the website, and an “other” category for gender on membership or other sign-up forms, as well as photos showing same sex couples.  Race and ethnicity add to this fear.  Social isolation and lack of family support is a serious issue for older LGBTQ people.  While some do not want special programs, others are looking for activities geared to them.  She suggested creating a task force to identify issues and opportunities and participating in gay pride events (month of June).  IONA offers five peer-support groups for LGBTQ seniors, including Maryland.   She provided two handouts, one on IONA peer support groups [Click here] and the other on resources, including a film [Click here].

The president suggested that WAVE consider having a table at the DC Gay Pride event.   

Advocacy:  Forecasting and being ready for long term care needs.  Mary Proctor and Elizabeth Cabot Nash of Capitol Hill Village.

Capitol Hill Village, founded 12 years ago, has 500 members with median age of 75, 40% of whom live alone. It has a staff of 6.  There are currently no senior residences or care facilities on Capitol Hill; hence the need to find new ways to care for seniors in the community. 

A slide presentation, From Aging in Place To Aging in Community [Click here], was shown.

Statistics.   Nationally, 52% of Americans reaching 65 will need long term care (LTC).  19% will need 1 year LTC; 8% 1-2 years; 11% 2 - 4 years; 14% 5 or more years.  48% will need none. 

Sharing our advocacy experience and how we got here.

  • Establish structure for discussion and decisions, e.g. advocacy committee of the Board , Housing committee, advocacy corps of community at large.
  • Recognize members will need more than village can offer.
  • Get to know your members
  • Create settings for talking about hard issues of aging
  • Encourage planning, use experts and best practices. E.g. Chevy Chase has small apartment called “The Stories” with special quality of life concierge.  All units are universal design; there are community rooms.
  • Assess capacity of community support; evaluate anticipated needs vs available DC services, housing and caregiving resources.
  • Define goals and objectives; identify care and housing options; health care workforce needs.
  • Advocate at DC council

What we have learned about gaps in DC for middle income residents.

  • DC doesn’t cover people with incomes between 30% and 100% of annual median income (AMI).
  • Only 850 assisted living units anywhere in DC; mostly in Ward 3 upper DC. No subsidy. Affordable for those with highest 20% of income.
  • Adult day programs. Only IONA has 1 for middle income residents.  There are only 200 subsidized day care slots available. 
  • Workforce issues: Not enough certified home health aides vs 4-5 years ago. Not keeping up with retirement of existing aides and growing demand. DC not thinking strategically about need for workforce or other support. 

Working with other community stakeholders, government agencies, DC council, Metro Council of Govts.  The Village will convene DC boards or advocacy groups in Spring 2019.

Discussion:

  • The roles of villages with hospitals? How to calculate the actual contribution of villages to health outcomes.
  • Promote universal design.
  • How to prevent physical and mental disability? Set up one level housing including an RN so health care is within the building.   VT has SASH program, 100 buildings like this. 

Pazit Aviv, Montgomery County Village Coordinator:  important to recognize that middle income people fall between the cracks. Need advocacy to include them, but recognize some of them have never and do not want to avail themselves of services. Montgomery County is compiling report on gaps on aging services. She will share it with villages who can call out the gaps.  Identify partners for advocacy across sectors.  Recommends a presentation to WAVE about long-term care (LTC) benefits. Congress may hear proposals for catastrophic LTC insurance.

Advocacy Breakout Groups Discussion Topics

What insights and issues are most compelling?  What does this make you think about; what was hard to understand?  Next steps: how well is your jurisdiction doing in support of aging in community?  Who are natural partners in your jurisdiction?  What might we pursue together, as WAVE, clusters of villages or other?

Break outs by jurisdiction: Report Out

VA:   Would like focus on LTC options for the home.  What can villages do?   What is AARP’s advocacy role?  Need to address zoning barriers to senior housing options.  Bring in new partners in VA for advocacy, including policy-oriented groups/individuals.  This can be a recruiting tool for villages--pull in policy wonks. 

MD:  Discussed how position of Montgomery County village coordinator was created and how Prince George’s County could get one.  Discussed housing, accessory dwelling units (ADUs), and zoning issues.  State level approaches might work on some issues, e.g. village insurance. Talk with county and state representatives.   Workforce issues--inadequate training, certification, pay. Reach out to other service communities, e.g. churches.  How best to approach them; must build trust.  Remember need to be inclusive; creative approaches needed.  Perhaps “summit” of leaders of various communities.

DC:  One level housing with health support, i.e. a concierge and an RN.   Meeting in April/May with woman who began SASH in VT to work with Medicare to pay for RN in buildings with subsidies up to 140% of AMI.  This meeting can be opened to others. Thinks MD is also developing something along these lines (housing + health care).  Naturally Occurring Retirement Communities (NORCs) could include prevention-oriented activities to keep people out of LTC.   LTC and housing are separate/related issues.  Perhaps a middle level living--beyond a home that lacks one level living, but not yet LTC.  Could villages play a role?  Housing with care available  reduces demand for LTC.  Longevity with healthy living is goal--prevent or postpone disability.  Co-housing for seniors --30 units for seniors on Capitol Hill; 2 units for the caregivers themselves. 

Pazit Aviv:  Silos of county, state, federal agencies is issue.  Federal government could make greatest savings.  It’s hard to prove that counties and states would actually save any money from village activities.  Need “big boy numbers.”  WAVE should demonstrate cost savings for CMS.

Miriam Kelty:  Transportation is important, especially where there’s a mix of rural and urban space. 

Wrap up.  Members were asked to send ideas to Pat Clark or Gail Kutner. 

Go to top