WAVE Board Meeting
Mon. 23 April 2018
In attendence: Miriam K., Barbara S., Peggy S., Virginia H., Eddie R., Gail K. (via phone call), Pat S., Pat C., Eva C., Sharon C.., Leigh S.
Not able to attend: Don M.
Introductions and acceptance of minutes from WAVE Board meeting on 26 Feb. 18, with Leigh’s name spelled correctly.
Thanks and best wishes were given to Barbara Sullivan who will be leaving Mt. Vernon at Home as the ED to move to New Jersey to be closer to extended family. She suggested a future Triannual meeting presentation on lessons learned from established villages, offering to return for such a panel in a future WAVE Triannual meeting, perhaps in the fall meeting.
Gail gave an overview on the logistics for the morning 14 May WAVE Triannual meeting to be held at the Arlington County Aging and Disability Offices, 2100 Washington Blvd, Arlington, VA 22204. The speakers will be a panel of regional representatives working on age friendly communities. Miriam, Barbara and Peggy will work with Gail to finalize wording for the email to send the agenda to the WAVE listserve.
Virginia offered an informal Treasurer’s report. WAVE currently has 29 paid members and $6,299.19 in the bank. She reports that sending out the reminder to pay dues before 01 June to avoid late charges generated a steady increase of member dues payments. She also reported that we now have sufficient funds to underwrite a registration scholarship to the VTVN National Gathering for a village in development.
In discussing village membership, we voted to create two new catagories of WAVE memberships, for a total of three membership types:
- Village Members – actual village-type entities paying $35 annual dues;
- Friends of Villages – individuals who are interested in villages/aging in community/place who wish to be formally affiliated with WAVE, paying $35 annual dues; and
- Village Partners – entities/providers who wish to formally support WAVE and market their services to villages, paying $50 annual dues.
These new catagories will need to be incorporated into the WAVE ByLaws, which Leigh offered to start reviewing for changes. We will maintain the late dues increase of $45 effective 01 June for the calendar year. Other updates to include in the governance change are three regional co-chairs and the length of service for board member terms. Others may arise during the review process.
A decisión was also made to start a WAVE newsletter to be published and emailed to paying members three times per year. It will be prepared each trimester by the hosting región right after each Triannual Meeting. Potential subject matter may include a recap of the Triannual meeting as well as announcements of interest which include regional participation and other ítems of interest.
In order to enhance village interest in WAVE operation, we discussed:
- holding board meetings as a Triannual meeting breakout sesión, starting with the fall Triannual meeting;
- inviting the staff representatives from surrounding jurisdictions (Patricia Rohrer/Fairfax Co., Pazit Aviv/Mont. Co., & Phil Hashey/DC) to hold a panel during a Triannual meeting to discuss their respective jurisdiction’s activities in re: to villages/aging in community;
- regional reps meeting directly with the WAVE Board for discussions as appropriate; and
- encouraging newsletter content to be submitted directly to Dave Prescott after consultation with him re: format, timing, etc.
Peggy S. suggested collecting basic information about WAVE’s villages so that in public presentations we could articulate who WAVE represented. Peggy, Pat S. And Miriam will start collecting ideas for simple surveys of villages, which will not take more than one minute to fill out, thus encouraging participation. Survey Monkey may be used to simplify the process. Surveys may build upon each other, collecting new information each time, perhaps being timed on a trimester basis. They will report back to board for next steps.
Two non-agenda ítems were raised re: technology:
- Use of Google Voice as an after hours answering service, which Bradley Hills Village has used with success; and
- An announcement that Paul Burden is continuing his work with voice activated devices, see http://www.ourvoice.net/home.html
VTVN National Gathering, San Diego, 8-10 Oct. 2018
Fall WAVE Triannual – early October (1st?) based on space availability in DC.