WAVE Board Meeting, December 8, 2017
Treasurer reported that WAVE currently had 19 paid memberships, out of a potential for 65 villages in the DC-MD-VA metropolitan región. Currently we have $665.00 in annual revenues, with $5,100.00 in carryover funds.
There was agreement that we needed to get as many 2017 dues paid as possible. Barbara Sullivan said that she would send an email with the information form to village contacts. All agreed that we must do more to encourage dues payments, including reminders on the WAVE website, emails, the newsletter, etc.
The conversation evolved into a discussion regarding the need to recruit someone to write/edit/be responsible for a WAVE newsletter that might be compiled monthly. One idea floated was that in the newsletter and during WAVE business meetings, we could feature a “village spotlight” on some aspect of one village for information sharing.
Website & Host Server
Acknowledging that there does not exist a formal communications mechanism for information sharing, Dave Prescott (who has taken over keeping the WAVE website up to date) asked that we forward newsletters or information ítems of relevance to be posted on WAVE’s website.
After considerable discussion regarding what entity/server would be chosen to host our website and regarding registering the domain name, it was agreed that Dave would investigate the options and make a recommendation for quick implementation.
Although we discussed the need for a Communications Director to manage the email lists and the production of a WAVE newsletter, there was no decisión on who might be recruited to do so. This ítem remains open.
2018 Annual Meeting & Elections
We decided that the next WAVE Triannual meeting would be held on Monday, 26 Feb. 2018 at the Bethesda/Chevy Chase Regional Service Center in Bethesda. During this meeting, we are due to have elections for Board members.
The following was compiled for discussion:
- Newly elected Board members from Jan 2017-Jan 2019 include Eva Cohen (MD), Bob Craycraft (DC, who resigned as a Co-Chair), Miriam Kelty (MD), L Liddle (VA, who’s since resigned), Don Moldover (MD), Pat Scolero (DC), Peggy Simpson (DC – replacing Barbara Gage) and Barbara Sullivan (VA).
- Members with expiring terms from Jan 2016-Jan 2018 include Pat Clark (DC), Virginia Hodgkinson (VA), Gail Kutner (VA) and Eddie Rivas (MD).
- Given Bob Craycraft’s resignation as a Co-Chair, Peggy Simpson has agreed to serve in that capacity for 2018.
- A decisión was made to nominate another VA board member to replace L Liddle, Sharon Canner, who will run for election with those whose terms expire in Jan. 2018 (see above). This will give us a total of 12 board members – 4 DC, 4 MD & 4 VA.
- Thus, the slate of board members for election during the February 2018 meeting include Sharon Canner (VA), Pat Clark (DC), Virginia Hodgkinson (VA), Gail Kutner (VA) and Eddie Rivas (MD).
The final ítem was a request from Steve Gurney from the Guide To Retirement Living, for a presentation to the Senior Resource Group on Monday 02 April 2018. Barbara, Peggy and Eddie will represent WAVE in that presentation.