Meetings

Washington Area Villages Exchange

WAVE Board Meeting

Monday, May 18, 2020, 12:00 Noon - 2:00 pm

Location: Zoom

Present: Leigh Sempeles, Mary Jo Deering, Dave Prescott, Cele Garrett, Loretta Vitale Saks, Gail Kutner, Peg Simpson, Kathy Pointer, Laurie Pross, Miriam Kelty, Sharon Canner, Pat Scolero, and Denise Snyder.

President Leigh Sempeles called the meeting to order at 12:07pm.

Recording Secretary Report              Cele Garrett read the minutes of the April WAVE board meeting. The minutes were approved.

Corresponding Secretary Report      Dave Prescott reported that the list of all paid villages are up-to-date on the WAVE web site; there have been no additional dues payments since the last board meeting. Currently, 39 out of 75 villages have paid. This prompted a discussion about how we could incentivize villages to become members if they are letting their dues lapse—or if they’ve never joined to begin with. Traditionally, those village “in development” are not required to pay dues (though Dave noted that some have done so voluntarily). Dave estimated that currently thirteen of our area villages are in development. The most obvious different for a paying vs. nonpaying village is the ability to vote at the annual meeting. At the very least, we all agreed that our web site should list the benefits of being a WAVE member. Mary Jo reminded us that we should continually position WAVE as a “broadcaster of services.”

We agreed to revisit the idea of dividing among board members the list of nonpaying villages so we can each make calls. Action: Cele will author a phone script and send the draft to everyone. Loretta suggested creating a benefit for members only. One thought was to “formalize” a matching mentor program.

Also, Dave sent out the “save the date” email re the June general meeting.

Treasurer Report        Laurie Pross reported that the current balance stands at $9,235.12.

EXISTING BUSINESS

Joint conference with Montgomery Co villages      Mary Jo reported that plans are on hold at this time, due to the pandemic. Pazit Aziz has been otherwise engaged and there are too many unknowns about safely holding a conference at this point.           

Scheduling quarterly meeting using Zoom              The board chose the date of             Monday, June 22 for the next quarterly meeting. The Zoom meeting will begin at 9:30am and allow for time for socializing and logging on, with the business meeting beginning at 10am. The goal of this meeting is to facilitate a comprehensive discussion about how our villages are navigating and responding to the COVID crisis.

NEW BUSINESS

Georgetown Village fundraising opportunity                     Leigh touched on the recent offer presented by Georgetown Village, who will feature former Sec. of State Madeline Albright as a special guest for their May 28 online fundraiser. Ticket prices are $100 each. Georgetown Village is opening this event to all area villages who wish to participate. When a village member registers and indicates the name of their village, Georgetown Village will give $25 from their ticket prices back to their own village. WAVE sent an eBlast to area villages notifying them of the details.

Vitality Society           Leigh mentioned an opportunity that came to her attention from Barbara Sullivan at VTVN. Vitality Society, a provider of numerous online wellness classes, is interested in offering a pilot program to some villages. The typical membership for VS is nearly $30 per month per person. For the three-month pilot, villages would receive the online content at no charge, provided we can give them valuable feedback about the program. VTVN is offering an informational webinar on Tuesday, May 19 at 2pm.

June 22 quarterly meeting    With the date now secured, discussion turned to issues to be the focus of the meeting. We discussed how well a “networking” segment would work via Zoom. <Note from Cele: I need better clarification of my notes here: We agreed to have each person introduce themselves, just as we do at the in-person meetings.> Should we try a “warm up” exercise prior to the start of the Business meeting portion? We agreed that the formal Business portion would include an introduction of board members and an explanation of board member roles. We’d then move to officer reports as well as a pitch for WAVE membership. We also agreed to limit the business portion to 15 minutes. Next on that agenda: Gail will report on highlights of the member survey.

At this point in the board meeting, we began to discuss potential topics that could emerge as having the highest level of interest: Services that village members need now, anticipating future needs and agreeing to best practices for those services, ways to decrease social isolation, technology tips for connecting with members, and village sustainability during and after the pandemic. Again, the surveys will reveal what is top of mind for villages.

With regard to structuring the remained of the business meeting: We discussed at length whether or not to have a featured guest speaker or a strong internal speaker. Laurie suggested asking Gail Kohn if she is available to be a featured speaker. Others agreed that it could be a valuable prospective and one topic identified was “What emerging trends/shifts could bode well (or not) for the village movement?”  Action: Laurie will ask Gail if she is available that day.

After the business portion of the meeting, the survey discussion and the featured speaker, we plan to break out into three Zoom groups. WAVE Board members can serve as facilitators. The topics will be identified in advance of the meeting and attendees will choose in advance which session to attend. These logistics and other decisions will be better laid out in our next Zoom planning session, scheduled for 9:30am on Thursday, May 28.

Village survey            Gail Kuhn reminded us to complete our village survey.

There being no further business, the meeting adjourned at 1:45pm.

Respectfully submitted,

Cele Garrett

Recording Secretary

Washington Area Villages Exchange

WAVE Board Meeting

Monday, April 27, 2020, 12:00 Noon - 2:00 pm

Location: Zoom

Present: Leigh Sempeles, Mary Jo Dering, Dave Prescott, Cele Garrett, Loretta Vitale Saks, Gail Kutner, Peg Simpson, Kathy Pointer, Laurie Pross, Miriam Kelty, Sharon Canner, Pat Scolero, and Denise Snyder.

President Leigh Sempeles called the meeting to order at 12:05pm.

Recording Secretary Report              Cele Garrett read the minutes of the February WAVE board meeting. The minutes were approved with the following edits: Two action items were identified in planning for the proposed conference: Mary Jo would contact Pazit to discuss whether or not Pazit was comfortable with charging non-village vendors. And, the WAVE board will put together a planning team.

Corresponding Secretary Report      Dave Prescott reported that the list of all paid villages are up-to-date on the WAVE web site. Currently, 39 out of 75 villages have paid.

Treasurers Report      Laurie Pross reported that there had been a double-entry that has now been corrected and the current balance stands at $9,235.12.

EXISTING BUSINESS

“See Me at the Smithsonian” program        Miriam has followed up with Robin Marquis but has not heard back. Until the museum is able to open again, nothing further can develop at this time.     

Scheduling quarterly meeting using Zoom              The board chose the date of             Monday, June 22 for the next quarterly meeting. The Zoom meeting will begin at 9:30am and allow for time for socializing and logging on, with the business meeting beginning at 10am. The goal of this meeting is to facilitate a comprehensive discussion about how our villages are navigating and responding to the COVID crisis.

NEW BUSINESS

Village collaboration             Miriam noted that Montgomery County villages are having weekly discussions about ways to offer robust virtual programming. Peg noted that the DC villages are collaborating as well. Denise noted that the DC village EDs continue to meet on a monthly basis. Since the crisis hit, many villages have shared their programs with one another. Peg shared some examples of programs Dupont Circle Village has taken online: the monthly movie group, celebrity salons, and exercise programs. The village hosted a trio of family musicians who performed in their home, shared virtually.

Targeted communication to public              Leigh posed the question of how we can let the public know that villages are here to help seniors in these difficult times. Cele noted that the current environment finds local news outlets eager to share good news on people and organizations that are helping during this stressful time.

Posting additional information on WAVE web site    To the aforementioned point, Leigh suggested that the WAVE web site be a resource for sharing the value of village services in our region.

Content for June quarterly meeting            With the date now secured, discussion turned to issues to be the focus of the meeting. Mary Jo posed the idea of bringing in a health expert. Denise suggested we think about the longer-term implications of this pandemic. What issues will be coming up that we aren’t yet dealing with? This discussion could include how the pandemic is impacting villages financially, given that it could impact our ability to increase our village membership. What are the most valuable services villages are offering their members? Sharon noted the emphasis of her own organization as an “information village.” Does the current village structure serve us?

As to logistics, we discussed the best way to manage the meeting, given the potential number of participants. Loretta will host the meeting and Cele will ask her colleague Jen Heinz to help as admin “hall monitor” to assist Loretta. For smaller discussions, using Zoom’s breakout room functionality is a possibility.

Village survey            The discussion about issues led the board to decide on a village survey. The survey would be to determine how villages are managing during the COVID pandemic. Gail volunteered to take on the development and execution of this survey. She asked for board members to email potential questions and she will pull together a draft by the end of the week. This will be posted in a Google doc to board members so they will have a chance to weigh in before it goes out. This village feedback will provide the basis for our June 22 meeting, as the final question asks villages to list their top 3 topics for discussion.

It was decided that the next WAVE board meeting would take place via Zoom on Monday, May 18 from 12noon-2pm.

There being no further business, the meeting adjourned at 1:55pm.

Respectfully submitted,

Cele Garrett

Recording Secretary

 

Washington Area Villages Exchange

WAVE Board meeting

Monday, February 24, 2020, 12:00 Noon - 2:00 pm

 

Location: St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, Washington DC

Present: Leigh Sempeles, Mary Jo Deering, Dave Prescott, Cele Garrett, Pat Scolero, Denise Snyder, Loretta Vitale Saks, Kathy Pointer, and Laurie Pross. Gail Kutner, Miram Kelty and Sharon Canner joined by phone.

President Leigh Sempeles called the meeting to order at 12:05pm.

Recording Secretary Report        Cele Garrett read the minutes of our last WAVE board meeting in the summer of 2019. The minutes were approved as read.

Corresponding Secretary Report           There was no formal report.

Treasurer’s Report 

Leigh Sempeles reported that 37 villages + two partners have paid their membership dues for a total of $1,395. Our current assets are $9,515.34 and total expenses so far this calendar year are $363.39.

NEW BUSINESS

Introduction and Welcome to new board members            Leigh gave a hearty welcome to our three new WAVE board members: Loretta Vitale Saks (Helping Hands University Park Village), Kathy Pointer (Kingdom Care Village), and Laurie Pross (Villages of Kensington).  

Election of Officers                        Leigh notes that, traditionally, the WAVE board has a VP from each jurisdiction not represented by the current WAVE President’s own jurisdiction. As Leigh no longer is with a DC village but currently resides in VA, she has some flexibility in determining which village to align with to balance this need. She is determining this at present. Laurie volunteered to serve as Treasurer.

Mary Jo Deering will continue to serve as a VP. Gail Kutner will continue to serve as a VP as well.

WAVE Conference Discussion—Recap and future planning          Mary Jo has had preliminary discussions with Pazit Aviv about combining her Montgomery Co conference with a WAVE conference. Pazit joined the board meeting by phone to provide background on previous Montgomery Co conferences: The first one was held in 2015 and she has put together a conference approximately every 18 months-2 years since. There were 190 attendees at their most recent conference.

A planning group was formed to identify topics of interest, such as succession-planning and fundraising. There was no registration fee. There was a “by invitation only” vendor fair and a sponsor for the networking lunch. There were 4-5 concurrent breakout meetings of 70-90 each in the morning and afternoon. Panelists were chosen to get the conversation going but there were no formal presentations. There was an unidentified scribe for each session and notes were posted afterwards.

We all agree that there is overlap in what we wish to accomplish with a joint conference and we should combine our talents and experiences fully. Pazit does not envision hosting another conference until the first quarter of 2021, a timeline that we seemed to feel was agreeable. We all recognize that some topics lend themselves to a true presentation (versus open dialogue).

We continued to discuss this topic (whether or not to charge a registration fee, whether or not to have paid vendors) though didn’t make any definitive decisions.  Everyone agreed that a one-day conference that ended at mid-afternoon seemed to be the right length. Mary Jo will contact Pazit regarding whether or not she agrees to charging non-village vendors. A WAVE planning team will be put together for the purpose of working with Pazit’s team to identify session content and other important decisions.

“See Me at the Smithsonian program              Robin Marquis has reached out to numerous villages as well as to Leigh to see if villages would like to be involved with this program. Miriam and Laurie will explore.

Administration for Community Living on Aging/Implementation of National Care Corps Application Care RFP      The Oasis Institute in St. Louis will be administering sub-grants for which villages qualify. The letter of intent is due by May 13. A group of DC villages have reviewed the proposal and, with input from the grant proposal writer, determined that it would cost $12K to write the proposal. Additionally, Leigh and Miriam already have spent significant time reviewing the grant, which they find to have onerous requirements. Mary Jo made a motion (seconded by Dave) that WAVE will not submit a proposal. The motion carried.

Date/Location for WAVE spring members meeting and WAVE board meetings/calls                    Kathy Pointer volunteered to seek out a location for the next meeting. We’ve chosen the date of Monday, April 27. We’ve identified the fourth Monday of each month from 12-2pm for monthly WAVE board meetings or conference calls. For the next in-person meeting, At Home in Alexandria can host at its 3139 Mt Vernon Ave location in Alexandria. Future meeting dates will be: May 18, June 22, July 27 and September 28.

There being no further business, the meeting adjourned at 2:12pm.

Respectfully submitted,

Cele Garrett

Recording Secretary

Washington Area Villages Exchange
WAVE Board Meeting
July 29, 2019, 10:30am - 12:00 pm
 

In attendance:

Patricia Clark          Gail Kutner               Mary Jo Deering

Leigh Sempeles      Eddie Rivas               Cele Garrett

Sharon Canner       Miriam Kelty              Denise Snyder

Peggy Simpson      Patricia Scolero

Not present:

Dave Prescott         Virginia Hodgkinson   Don Moldover

 

Treasurer’s Report

Leigh reported current membership stats: Currently, there are 38 paid village, compared to 42 at this time last year. Despite this, revenue is a little higher because of a few private donations. On this topic, Leigh encouraged all board members to consider a donation. Current assets are $7,172.31. Income from villages is $1,340. Leigh revisited the idea of having board members each call a handful of lapsed WAVE members to follow up on their renewal. She will ask Dave to email the list of lapsed villages; each board member is to review the list and assign themselves to a village with which they might have a personal connection. We will also call villages that have not joined.

Leigh reported that she and Pat have reviewed the bylaws and are proposing some changes. The proposed language will be provided to the board for comment. Leigh will email the draft to board members and asks that we each read the language and “reply all” soon after with our approval or comments. Board comments will be incorporated in a new draft, which will then be posted on the WAVE web site for WAVE members to review prior to a vote at the next annual meeting.

 

Recording Secretary’s Report

Outgoing Recording Secretary Eddie Rivas noted that he’d distributed the May meeting minutes by email and received minor comments from one board member. The minutes were approved. Incoming Recording Secretary Cele Garrett will begin taking and distributing minutes from this point forward.

 

Corresponding Secretary’s Report

As Dave was absent, Patricia reported that he has removed board members’ contact info from the web site listing for privacy purposes after a number of disturbing phishing emails were sent to the board at their personal emails. This is in response to a concern about spam targeted to board members. People can contact WAVE and ask that the message be sent to any Board member.

 

VP Mary Jo Deering' s Report

The majority of the meeting time was spent discussing the November 14 WAVE mini-conference. Mary Jo began by thanking Wendy Zenker, Executive Director of Arlington Neighborhood Village, for her good work in securing the meeting space.

Cost.   The board reviewed the contract with Marymount University. Marymount is waiving fees for the meeting space. The board voted to approve the contract, but asked for clarification of what the AV costs entail. An additional expense likely will be a $6/day parking fee for each car.

Registration fees.   After discussion, the board agreed on a registration fee of $15 for WAVE members and $25 for non-members, whether the attendee is with a village or another organization in the industry. However, the fee will be waived for an industry expert who is invited to facilitate a session and does not plan to attend the conference. We do not anticipate there being many such exceptions and will encourage those individuals to join us for the remainder of the conference and pay a fee voluntarily.

Food and beverage.  Our goal is to keep food expenses to a minimum. It was agreed that we should include a continental breakfast plus a boxed lunch for attendees. Mary Jo suggested that the Virginia villages take on the job of asking for food donations or sponsorships. Leigh reminded us that we do have some funds in the budget as a back-up.

Registration, attendance and marketing.   We are requiring that attendees register in advance online. Denise is exploring Auctria, the registration software program Foggy Bottom is currently using. Eddie has offered his VTVN email address as a possible contact point to direct attendees for registration. We are hoping to have at least 75 attendees and could have as many as 125 attendees. A site visit in the coming weeks will answer capacity questions, clarify our set-up options, and give us a sense of what our accommodations could be for any exhibitors. Mary Jo will set up the site visit in the near future; board members are welcome to attend. To promote the mini-conference, each village is encouraged to reach out to their “short list” of industry partners. Mary Jo will work with Eddie and Sharon on copy that can be used in promotional emails that WAVE will send out to villages.

Programming.  Mary Jo shared the latest version of the conference matrix showing the four tracks. The opening session will be extended to let Barbara Sullivan, VTVN Executive Director, address the group. We will thank any sponsors as well. The breakout sessions will include no formal presentations but will be interactive discussions of the topic led by a facilitator. She suggested that board members begin to consider specific village leaders with subject area knowledge or facilitation skills. She will send out a request for their input shortly. There will be a series of conference calls by track once the subject area facilitators are identified. We will also assign a flipchart writer/timekeeper for each breakout session. Still to be determined: The content of our closing remarks.

 

VP Gail Kutner's Report

The next WAVE quarterly meeting will be October 7, where the discussion will focus on highlights from the VTVN conference. Denise and Miriam are looking at potential venues.

 

Respectfully submitted,

Cele Garrett,

Recording Secretary

Washington Area Villages Exchange
Agenda
WAVE Board Meeting
May 10, 2019, 10:30am - 12:00 pm

Treasurer: Leigh Sempeles
     Financial status, proposed budget for November mini-conference, membership and dues, outreach to
     non-member villages
Recording Secretary: Eddie Rivas
     Review minutes and notes
     Select a new recording Secretary
Corresponding Secretary: Dave Prescott
     Report on website, communications
     Issues related to spam targeting this Board
VP: Mary Jo Deering
     Fall WAVE Meeting – mini-conference
     Ideas for locations, topics, speakers, etc.
     Locations: 441 4th Street, AARP (Barbara Sullivan recommended – Eddie was going to check into it)
VP: Gail Kutner
     Program topics and suggestions for June meeting
    Meeting Structure: Shorter program as well as a longer program. Review of the last two.
    Long-term care issue: Mary Procter and Elizabeth Cabot Nash and others have an ‘interest group’.
    Will provide us with letters to send regarding the details.
Strategic Direction for WAVE: Process to study and implement ideas from California, others ideas.
IT Group: Work Group Update & Discussion of Use of New Technology status
2020 Census: Completely online.
Other things

Washington Area Villages Exchange

Minutes

WAVE Board Meeting

Friday, May 10, 2019, 10:30 am - 12:00 pm

In Attendance:

Patricia Clark                   Gail Kutner               Mary Jo Deering

Leigh Semples                    Eddie Rivas               Cele Garrett

Miriam Kelty                     Don Moldover              Denise Snyder

 

Not Present:

Dave Prescott                    Virginia Hodgkinson       Peggy Simpson

Sharon Canner                    Patricia Scolero

Treasurer

Leigh S. reported that WAVE’s total current assets were $7,207.31, $0.00 in current liabilities and $7,032.31 in total liability and equity.  [Leigh – pls confirm!] She also reported for the 2019 budget, we have income projections of $1,340.00 ($1,125 membership dues, $50 partner support, $65 donations) and expenses of $242.22 ($102.22 software update and $140 postal costs). 

Secretaries

Eddie R. stated that minutes from the April Member meeting would be available the following week. 

Cele G. volunteered to become the new Recording Secretary.

Eddie R. agreed to and completed follow up with Dave P. regarding the following:

-- Dave has an archive of materials collected from previous WAVE officers.

-- There exists and is posted a general WAVE mailbox, monitored by Dave: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

-- Dave forwarded a Treasurer’s email to Leigh for consideration.

-- All contact information was previously stripped from the WAVE website.

-- Dave has no knowledge or experience with the use of online, electronic registration applications such as Event Bright or Sign Up Genius. 

Fall MiniConference

Mary Jo D. presented a proposed plan developed by committee (Mary Jo D., Miriam K. & Don M.) for a four-track miniconference, with approximately four breakouts for each track. The intent is to schedule the sixteen sessions throughout the day, no repetitions, with knowledgeable facilitators to manage the sharing of information across Village attendees.  Potential locations include DC, Silver Spring MD and Ballston VA. All locations will have Metro access and parking, and should be affordable.  Currently the conference budget is set at $1,150. 

Future Member Meeting Programming Ideas

While a date and location in DC have not yet been determined, the topics proposed a simple, short presentation on implementing a Memory Café and a longer presentation on updated research around Alzheimer’s Disease and related dementias. 

Lastly

There was a reminder to board members that at least three new board members will need to be elected in January 2020 to fill seats that will be termed out. 

 

WAVE Membership Meeting

Monday, April 15, 2019

Patricia Clark welcomed attendees. She thanked our breakfast sponsor Brandywine Living Alexandria, and Cele Garrett and volunteers from At Home Alexandria for their support for securing the Charles Huston Rec Center for the meeting.

Announcements

Montgomery County will hold a meeting for caregivers on 05 June; contact Lily Fisher with the Montgomery County Office of Adult and Disability Services for more information. 

Arlington Neighbourhood Village will hold their fundraising gala on 03 May; contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. for more information.

Reston for a Lifetime announced Resources for Better Aging online resource center. Contact http://www.restonforalifetime.org/resources.html for info. 

Administrative Reports

Treasurer reported 38 paid Villages, with $1,340 in dues paid; and $7,207.31 in our bank account.  The fall 2019 WAVE Miniconference (see below) is currently budgeted for $1,400.

Secretaries reported that all minutes are up to date on the WAVE website as are Village entries.

Fall WAVE Miniconference

The Miniconference Planning Committee reported that they are planning for a conference in the Fall 2019, not to conflict with the national VTV Network Annual Gathering (Chicago, Sept 18-20, https://www.vtvnetwork.org/content.aspx?sl=1230294757).  

The conference will have four tracks, with approx. four sessions each:

  1. Management issues
  2. Scope of Village services and activities
  3. Strategic issues
  4. Technology

Additional information will be posted on the WAVE website as it is further developed, including date, location, etc. 

Alcohol Abuse – A Special Problem for Seniors

Rob Fleming, Mount Pleasant Village, made a short presentation on alcohol abuse dangers with older people.  He presented statistics about alcohol abuse in the District of Columbia. He noted that the problem is often rooted in on the individual’s biology, affecting behaviour, economics and ultimately politics at the community level, which in turn can block solutions to the problem.  Estimates are that alcohol abuse can kill as many as 88 thousand people per year and cost approximately $250 Billion across the country. Given how much this problem contributes to social isolation, he suggests that Villages explore alternatives to alcohol use and opportunities to address the issues in their communities.

Memoir Writing

Anne Bolen, Anne B. History LLC, addressed memoir writing as an avenue towards addressing social isolation in the community. She presented how memoir writing in small group settings is a powerful way to create meaningful social experiences. She discussed the power of storytelling and preserving our histories, and conducted small group exercises to demonstrate the ease in which Villages could implement storytelling opportunities in their communities. 

 

WAVE Board of Directors Meeting - Friday, March 15, 2019

Agenda

(See Meeting Minutes Below)

 

Treasurer: Leigh Sempeles

Financial status, proposed budget for November mini-conference, membership and dues, outreach to non-member villages.

Recording Secretary: Minutes Eddie Rivas

Review minutes from February meeting and notes

Structure of WAVE: Develop a structure to coordinate and ‘house’ issues by including others who have expertise, and not overwhelming the Board.

February Meeting: Discuss and analyze.  Issues or things to follow up on.

LBGTQ: Continue and/or increase our support; WAVE website section for LGBTQ?  WAVE table at DC Pride event for all area villages?  Create, support interest group.

Meeting Structure: Shall we attempt to have a shorter program, as Susan Messina did for us, as well as a longer program?

Long-term care issue: How shall WAVE continue the issue presented by Mary Procter and Elizabeth Cabot Nash?  Have an ‘interest group’?

VP Gail Kutner

Program topics and suggestions for April and June meetings and 2020.

VP Mary Jo Deering

Fall WAVE Meeting – mini-conference

Ideas for locations, topics, speakers, etc.

Corresponding Secretary: Dave Prescott

Report on website, communications

Strategic Direction for WAVE: Process to study and implement ideas from California, others ideas. 

IT Group: Work Group Update & Discussion of Use of New Technology status

New Business

Adjourn

 

Meeting Minutes

Conference Call at 3:02 pm

Pat Clark and Gail Kutner will develop a list of topic areas to be considered for future WAVE meeting presentations/speakers.  This list will include resource people with expertise that can present updates, follow issue areas, etc. for WAVE members and participants.

As a follow-up to the February WAVE meeting, and the presentation by Susan Messina of Iona, the board began a discussion of further ways that WAVE can support villages with regard to LBGTQ sensitivity and specific needs and services.  This discussion will be continued. 

All agreed that the present WAVE meeting structure – short presentation followed by more in-depth presentation on a specific topic – should be maintained, allowing for flexibility depending on subject matter and other business.  Cele Garrett offered, all agreed, to work on a presentation related to recording memories/individuals’ stories for the April meeting.

Mary Jo Deering asked for assistance in planning a day long WAVE meeting/conference to offer workshops and plenary speaker(s).  Miriam Kelty and Don Moldover offered to serve on a committee to assist.  Given the nature of space needs for such a conference, various venues will be investigated for consideration, as will a date sometime in the fall. 

Leigh Semples provided a Treasurer’s report. During discussion, we affirmed that developing villages do not need to pay dues. It was suggested that calls to villages to pay dues be made by jurisdiction.

Dave Prescott offered a report on updates in progress to the website, listserves and calendar events.  

Pat Clark led a short discussion about whether WAVE should look at our strategic direction – mission, vision, value to members, etc. It was suggested that we review what the Village Movement California presented at the VTVN meeting last fall, and that perhaps we consider a longer board retreat/meeting or a dedicated WAVE meeting with facilitation to help guide the discussion.  Plans for this are still in the making.

Don Moldover and Mary Jo Deering offered that the IT Group will be reviewing a demonstration of caregiver support software in early April.  They will report about that demonstration at a later date. 

Meeting concluded at approximately 4:40 pm.

Go to top