WAVE Board Minutes
Monday, 27 April 2015

In Attendance:

Miriam Kelty Peggy Gervasi Pat Scolaro
Bob McDonald L. Liddle Eddie Rivas
Don Moldover Pat Clark Iris Molotsky

 

 
 
 
Unable to Attend:

Virginia Hodgkinson    Barbara Sullivan

Discussion

Quarterly meeting was well received; we should consider repeating the topic/program area of partnerships between villages and health care systems/hospitals. We should also investigate how anecdotal data from Villages might be studied to demonstrate the value that villages offer to health care systems in their efforts to lower their recidivism rates. Discussion led to national efforts to collect data on village outcomes and how WAVE members can/do contribute. Moreover there exists an interest in how such data collection might lead to raising revenues/funds for villages in the DC area, etc.

Action: Eddie R. made a motion, seconded by Bob M, unanimously approved that Iris M. will develop a proposal outline for consideration, to collect data region-wide from WAVE members.

L Liddle suggested that we survey all WAVE members to collect a census of Villages. All agreed. L will draft a set of survey questions for review and comments by the Board.

The likely presentation topic for the next WAVE Quarterly meeting target for 27 July in Northern VA will focus on the topic of transportation and Fairfax County’s participation in Ride Scheduler program.

Don M. offered that the software package presentation went well during the Quarterly meeting. L agreed and stated that villages seemed to feel that the budget forecasting tool was useful. Don suggested that we consider sharing the costs of the server used to host the package with the three WAVE villages currently using the tool. Discussion was tabled without decision at this time.

Don M. reported that Norma Hardy from DC’s Ward 8 village volunteered for website training.

Miriam K. presented the financial report: WAVE currently has $3,600 in assets; $2,000 in contributions; $1,000 in collected dues; for a total of $3,800. Our expenses equal $187.59.

Pat C. led a discussion about a proposal for WAVE strategic planning. The Board needs to review the Mission and Vision statements to prepare for a strategic planning effort. We should assure that a cross section of WAVE members participate in a 4-6 hours strategic planning session, which will end up with 4-5 strategies for future action/direction for WAVE. Questions to be considered include is WAVE to remain in the status quo or should it become a fiscal agent for grant projects, etc.? Should it
become active in advocacy/public education efforts or should it remain a consultative body?

Action: Pat will lead the Board through revisiting the visioning effort during out next Board meeting on Thursday 18 June from 12:30 to 4:00 pm at the Bethesda-Chevy Chase Service Center, focused on the future of the aging field and its impact on WAVE for our future direction.

Don M. & Peggy G. led a discussion about discussion forums on the WAVE website: a protected Board forum, an IT Project forum (open/closed?) and an Open WAVE Member forum, which Peggy volunteered to monitor. Action: Don and Pete Olivere will draft a policy for determining content to be posted to the WAVE website for review and discussion.

L Liddle led a discussion on how much personal information should be listed in the WAVE Village Directory given that it is a public document. Action: L will email those individuals whose personal information is listed in relation to a village effort to determine whether or not they want their information made publicly available.

Meeting adjourned!

 

Go to top