Below you will find some last reminders for December as well as events for January. Please do make sure to scroll all the way down so you will be aware of some interesting events that will be taking place at the end of January 2018. FYI I will be out of the office next week and will return on January 2nd 2018. I wish you all a Happy New Year.
1. County Council Community Grant and County Council Collaboration Grant – Due Jan 11th 2018
Most of you are already aware of this deadline, but just in case you missed it. It is still not too late to apply. Follow this link below for the online application.
2. New Funding Opportunity: Maryland Department on Aging Community for a Life RFP
Attached are the funding announcement and RFP from MDoA.
Hal Rogoff Director, Innovation
3. Free Audiology Seminars and Screenings
For a limited time only, the TLC Family Hearing Center is offering free hearing seminars led by an audiologist.
- Hearing Aid Technology
- Hearing Loss
- Hearing Aids Do's and Don'ts
- Coping Strategies
- Communications Strategies for the Hearing Impaired (staff and patients)
- Discussion of New Study Showing Hearing Aids Reduce the Risk of Cognitive Decline in Older Adults
- Diabetes and Hearing Loss
If you are interested in free hearing screenings performed by a professional, certified Audiologist, we can provide that as well.
Contact: Michelle Lyons 301.424.5200, ext.138
4. n4a Advocacy Alert
For anyone not living on Mars, it is clear that things are not going well at the federal government level. As a result, vital programs that serve older adults are at risk of losing funding. Attached is a n4a advocacy paper that you may want to share and also encourage others to make some calls. Your village represents your community, so use your voice!
5. The Senior Beacon is Celebrating Art and You Are Invited to Partner With Them
This is a new initiative from the Beacon. It aims to encourage people over the age of 50 to take up a new artistic endeavor. You can become their partner in this initiative.
6. 2017 Annual Village Report
I am currently compiling the annual village report. Please make sure your village is represented in it and send me a short summary of your 2017 year!!
1. Wednesday, January 24th 1-3: Free Falls Prevention Program
Olney Home for Life, in collaboration with Brookgrove is offering a free two-hour workshop on falls prevention at the Olney Public Library.
Olney Library 3500 Olney Latonsville Road Olney, MD 20832
2. Thursday, January 25th 2-4pm: What is Public Guardianship?
The Silver Spring Village is hosting Fiona Graham, Program Manager for Public Guardianship to give a talk about this important and often misunderstood topic. It will be held at the Holy Cross Senior Source Center (downtown Silver Spring).
Holy Cross Senior Source 8580 2nd Ave Silver Spring, MD 20910
3. Saturday, January 27th 8-4:30: 2018 Montgomery County History Conference at Montgomery College, Germantown Campus
This event is sponsored by Montgomery History and is sure to draw all you history buffs out there.
Thank you for reading my updates all the way through
Aging and Disability Services
401 Hungerford Drive, 4th floor
Rockville, MD 20850 <br